Saturday, September 7, 2013

Cheap and Easy Coffee Table Update!

Hello All! This is a super easy way to add some character to a simple coffee table.  I recently rescued this from a neighbor of mine that threw it out!  I don’t have a before picture, but it was a simple wood coffee table, totally bare wood.  I spray painted it gray, but wanted to add a little something extra to make it look unique. I picked up a white paint pen at Walmart, turned on “The Way We Were,” and went to town!  





I started by measuring everything out and drawing the lines in pencil, I don’t have a great picture of that because the pencil marks were really faint against the gray paint.  Just so you get the idea, the table is 23″x23″, so the middle square is 9″x9″, the second square is 4″x4″ and the lines to the corners are each 3″.  I just sketched it out on a piece of paper and tried to break it into 3 sections.  I wanted to make sure that the middle square would be significantly larger than the outside squares so that the scale looked right. I started with a fine point paint pen and went over the outline.  Then I started filling in the lines, making them thicker.
Image
IMG_0996 IMG_0997
The lines are far from perfect since I drew them freehand, but I kind of like the fact that it’s not perfect.  I let it dry overnight and then today I went back over it with a super thick tip paint pen–wish I would have had a smaller tip for the second go around.  Once I filled in the lines to make them as straight and as even as possible, I let it dry and added some accessories!  Weirdly enough I think the design actually helps this tiny coffee table look at little bit more substantial.
Image
This is a tray I picked up at an estate sale a few weeks ago!  I love that adding a simple silver tray can immediately make something look so much more put together and classy!
Image
Now for my favorite part of every project, sit back and enjoy my handy work and plan the next project!
Image

No comments:

Post a Comment