Saturday, September 7, 2013

Winter Reading Stack...

My husband and I went to our favorite local book store yesterday evening, while we were there he had a great idea!  We both like to read, I don’t get to read enough because I’m still in school and my husband goes through “reading bursts.”  His idea was to put together a stack of 5 books at the beginning of each fall that we will both work through together.  
I think this is such a great idea for the winter, especially in the Pacific Northwest where the days are incredibly short during the winter months (around 8 hours, sunrise to sunset)!  I also like the idea that we will read the same books, not necessarily at the same time, but it’s always fun to have someone to talk about your books with!  
So I wanted to set his plan into motion–this stack may change, but this is what we’re starting out with…


Image
“The Rook” by Daniel O’Malley–we picked this up yesterday and I think we’re going to read it together on our drive out to Yellowstone next week!
“One Hundred Years of Solitude” by Gabriel Garcia Marquez–I started this one a few weeks ago, a great book already!
“The Mysterious Benedict Society” by Trenton Lee Stewart
“Frankenstein” by Mary Shelley–such a great book, my husband has never read it, I’m excited to read it again!
“The Winter of Our Discontent” by John Steinbeck–my favorite book of all time, I try to read it ever Fall/Winter
Image
Plus, what’s better than starting off your mornings with a cup of coffee and a great book?!
Image
I put the stack on a side table in our living room–that way they’re there for us to pick up anytime, instead of turning on the TV.  I’m hoping this helps us get through a little more reading this winter than normal.
Image
Do any of you do this?  What books are on your list?
Be sure to go check out other great DIY ideas at the other blogs I link with:

No comments:

Post a Comment